THE LOST CHILDREN
1. Testimony of First Deputy Comptroller Steven Newman on behalf of Alan G. Hevesi before the Council of the City of New York, General Welfare Committee, February 26, 1996.
2. Renny Golden, Disposable Children: America's Child Welfare System, (Belmont, Ca.: Wadsworth Publishing Company, 1997) p. 25.
3. Testimony of Alan G. Hevesi before the Council of the City of New York, General Welfare Committee, December 19, 1995.
4. Office of the City Comptroller, Bureau of Financial Audit EDP Division, Follow-Up Audit Report on The Human Resources Administration's Foster Care Tracking and Claiming Systems, June 24, 1996. Report summary.
5. Office of the City Comptroller, Report To The Mayor and City Council on City Comptroller Audit Operations Fiscal Year 1995, March 1, 1996.
6. Office of New York State Comptroller H. Carl McCall, Foster Care Services Show No Improvement, press release, March 21, 1996
7. Dale Russakoff, "Protector of N.Y. City's Children Knows 'The System' Well," Washington Post, (December 19, 1996)
8. Anna Quindlen, "Choose a Real Leader to Look Out For Foster Kids," Albany, N.Y., Times-Union, (November 28, 1993)
9. Fred Bayles and Sharon Cohen, "Chaos Often the Only Parent for Abused or Neglected Children," (AP) Los Angeles Times, (April 30, 1995)
10. David Stoesz and Howard Jacob Karger, "Suffer the Children: How Government Fails its Most Vulnerable Citizens--Abused and Neglected Kids," Washington Monthly, (June 1, 1996).
11. United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Lashawn v. Dixon, decision, Civil Action No. 89-1754, 762 F. Supp. 959; 1991 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 5300, (April 18, 1991)
12. Rob Karwath, "Child-Welfare Reforms OKD," Chicago Tribune, (August 30, 1991)
13. Editorial, "Foster Parents 1, DCFS 0," Chicago Tribune, (July 28, 1993)
14. Indira A.R. Lakshmanan, "Agency Admits Missteps In 2nd Rape Case," Boston Globe, (May 25, 1995)
15. Dolly Smith, "DSS, House Subcommittee At Odds On Quality of Foster Care Tracking," Boston Globe, (September 17, 1991)
16. Linda Matchan and Elizabeth Neuffer, "Foster Care System Seen In Disarry," Boston Globe, (September 15, 1991)
17. Colleen Heild, "Is Foster Care System Breaking Down?" Albuquerque Journal, undated article, Albuquerque Journal Internet Home Page.
18. Colleen Heild, "Secrecy Thwarts Oversight of Agency Protecting Kids," Albuquerque Journal, undated article, Albuquerque Journal Internet Home Page.
19. Martha Shirk, "Indignities and Burnout in Missouri's Foster Care System," St. Louis Post-Dispatch, (May 21, 1990)
20. Claudia Feldman, "Temporary Shelters Not Always Sanctuaries," Houston Chronicle, (February 1, 1996).
21. Kimberley Murphy, Associated Press, "Is The State Up To The Task Of Assessing Children's Needs?" as reported in Deseret News, (June 11, 1995)
22. Associated Press, "Ruling: Counties Will Be Legally Responsible for Children's Safety," as reported in Iowa, Telegraph Herald, (November 26, 1996); Court of Appeals of Wisconsin, Kara B. & Mikaela R. v. Dane County, Dane County Department of Human Services, its Agents and Assigns, Decision, Case Nos. 94-1081 & 94-2908, November 2, 1995.
23. Testimony of Michael Petit Child Welfare Programs, Hearing before the Subcommittee on Oversight of the Committee on Ways and Means, U.S. House of Representatives, January 23, 1995. p. 123.
24. U.S. House of Representatives, Select Committee on Children, Youth and Families of the Committee on Ways and Means, No Place to Call Home: Discarded Children in America (Washington, D.C.: January 12, 1990), p. 50.
25. Testimony of Mark Soler, Children in State Care: Ensuring Their Protection and Support, Hearing before the Committee on Children, Youth and Families, U.S. House of Representatives, September 25, 1986 as cited in Select Committee, pp. 41 - 42.
26. Written Testimony of Marcia Robinson Lowry, Child Welfare Programs, Hearing before the Subcommittee on Oversight of the Committee on Ways and Means, U.S. House of Representatives, January 23, 1995. p. 111.
Home | Article
Last updated August 29, 2002